Living With An Untold Diagnosis

Up until last year I had kept very quiet about my Marfan syndrome diagnosis since I was 16 years old, it remained unrevealed to almost everyone (including some family members) I kept it to myself because I didn't want to be seen as different, which was already something I felt & I didn't want to be known as the girl with a rare disease as well. My Mum knew I had the condition as she was always with me at my hospital appointments but I very rarely engaged in conversation with her about it as I didn't want to acknowledge the matter. As the years passed, my rare health condition remained a secret & I'd be lying if I said the burden wasn't heavy at times. Carrying it around with me weighed me down & sometimes I wanted to share my worries, I wanted to tell someone that I was struggling to accept the diagnosis I'd been given, but I'd hidden it for so long that I didn't know how to open up about it. That doesn't mean Marfan syndrome wasn't always on my mind though. 

I can't really tell you how it felt to keep such a troubling revelation to myself for that long because I tried not to pay attention to my feelings regarding the situation. What I can tell you though is that I strongly regret handling it that way. Keeping it locked inside myself & never speaking up about it to anyone was damaging to my emotional health & harmful to my phsycological well-being. It has had a negative impact on my life and I now suffer from Anxiety Disorder & need to see a therapist. Keeping my rare diagnosis quiet has caused some distress to my thoughts and feelings and I don't know if that can be repaired, if it can, I think it will take a long time. 

I realise that I could've avoided the situation I'm in now if I had spoken up sooner & asked for help, but I often wonder why I wasn't offered any form of councelling when I was first diagnosed, I was a 16 year old girl who was already in a fragile state due to a major operation that I'd had to have a couple of years earlier. I think that should've given them an idea that I might've needed a bit of extra support. I can't change the way I dealt with all this from the start, but I can decide to deal with it better in the future, which is what I plan to do from now on. 

By posting this blog, I hope I've managed to help some people who might be in a similar position. I hope they read this and realise that it's not wise to bury something serious like I did, it had consequences for me & I wouldn't want anyone else to have the regret of not speaking out sooner. 
An Image Off Google That Pretty Much Describes What I've Been Trying To Say In This Blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shifted Out Of My Seat!

Awareness amongst healthcare professionals (Feb 22)

Digestive disarray part 2